We see dozens of job ads every week and have picked up a thing or three that assist with crafting a job description. So we have a few tips for employers that may help you land the right candidate.
- Don’t be too wordy! Large blocks of text don’t engage the reader’s interest. In many cases, dot points are appropriate to describe the role.
- Ensure the requirements are relevant for students: Feedback shows that some roles can be perceived as intimidating though listing high level technical requirements, or skills/experiences which often take years to obtain in the workforce. Create the job post from the perspective that the candidate will be developing in the role, instead of immediately launching into the deep end.
- Include links to relevant information: Make it easy for applicants to find further information about your business (i.e. website or media articles) so they can more effectively tailor their applications.
- Here are some examples below:
Template 1: Tech related job
Ad Title: Tech whiz wanted! Develop your programming skills on an exciting project
About Targaryen Corp Ltd
We are a growing software brand making it really easy to book and manage fire breathing, winged creatures for wars, invasions and corporate events. Since launching two years ago, we’ve recruited thousands of users on both sides of the Narrow Sea.
Our Dev team has impressive industry experience and are happy to share their expertise with current students, new grads and freed slaves. They build awesome solutions and play great table tennis.
Our flagship product ‘Drogos’ hasn’t had a UI update for a year and is ripe for a revamp. This is a massive project so we are creating a team to implement changes across some 10,000 pages of code and need a couple of talented interns to join us.
Within the role, you’ll be set up with a mentor who will regularly review and provide feedback of your work.
Contact details and links…
Template 2: Business/Admin/Marketing related job
Ad title: Marketing/Admin internship with potential to progress
About Stark Industries
Stark is an industry leader in AI, robotics, cyber security and defence.
Our HQ is in Brisbane, however, the team is spread across the globe so flexible working arrangements are available. If you are after a fast paced, challenging work environment which will see you exposed to industry leaders, innovative thinkers and free folk, check us out!
The marketing and PR team is looking for a great communicator to support new and existing campaigns through:
- assisting with day-to-day admin (i.e. booking meetings)
- strategic marketing plans
- social media creation
- development of engaging and informative blog content.
We’re interested in candidates studying a communications related field i.e. marketing, public relations or journalism, however, we’re also open to people who are organised, have great writing skills and exceptional people skills. This part-time role has good potential to result in a full-time, permanent opportunity.
You’ll be embedded within a fun and enthusiastic team who will advise and support you to achieve development milestones.
Contact details and links…